Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Mom's White Chicken Chili

Today was so chili (haha, see what I did there) that I decided to make chili.  This went much better than yesterday!  It tasted great, though it was more like a soup than chili.  My mom uses instant mashed potatoes to thicken hers, but I didn't have any and I didn't want all the wasted calories of flour.  I decided to blend another can of beans instead.  Well, they didn't really do much and it was still pretty runny.  Well, what can you do?  The chili came out tasty, so maybe I will just cut my losses and call it soup.

Step 1: Add chicken and onions to the pot.

Step 2: Add chicken broth, green chilis, and spices.

Finished product: Delicious soup! 

My Mom's White Chicken Chili

Ingredients: 
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 lb. boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
2 cans white cannellini beans, undrained
Potato flakes, for thickening
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cilantro
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Toppings (optional): scallions, sour cream

Preparation: 
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and onions, cook until done.
Stir in broth, chiles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cilantro, and red pepper flakes.  Simmer 20-30 minutes.
Stir in beans, simmer 5 minutes.
*Thicken (if desired) with instant potato flakes until desired consistency
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment