Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Philly Cheesesteaks!

Today I decided to embrace my new move and pay homage to probably the most famous food of my new city... cheesesteak!  I decided not to follow any recipes today, because really, it's just meat, onions, and cheese.  (I added peppers too.)  Also, if you happened to make the pot roast I made last week, this is the leftovers!  

Beef, peppers, and onions.
The biggest problem I had tonight was that I wanted to make the cheese kind of liquid like on a real cheesesteak, but I didn't want to use cheese wiz.  So, I put cheese and milk in a cup and microwaved it.  That worked pretty well, however I added too much milk and it was a little too liquid-y.  Whoops!
The cheese and milk mixture!

Cheese mixture added to the beef, peppers, and onions.
All in all, the cheesesteaks turned out pretty good, though the cheese was a little runny and I had to serve it on white bread (rolls are more expensive!).  Oh well, go Phillies!  

Philly Cheesesteak! 
Philly Cheesesteaks

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. oil
1 pound leftover beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 pepper, diced
1 cup milk
2 cups cheese, shredded
Good quality hoagie rolls
Salt and Pepper

Preparation:
Over medium high heat, add oil to skillet.  Add peppers and onions.  Cook until onions are translucent, about five minutes.  
Meanwhile, add milk and cheese to small saucepan, and whisk until a thick cheese sauce forms. 
Add beef to peppers and onions and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Scoop beef mixture into a hoagie roll.  Top with cheese sauce. 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. that last picture looks restaurant quality :)

    ReplyDelete