Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole


Tonight I decided to make a chicken and broccoli casserole recipe I found in Cosmo.  Well, first, I used Smart Balance instead of regular butter to be healthier, but when I mixed in the flour, I don't think there was enough fat to keep it liquid and it formed into weird mushy balls.  Then I had to add the chicken broth without it being mixed correctly, but I guess it was fine.  
My sauce bubbling away!

Right before my casserole went into the oven. 
Everything went fine after that until I was supposed to put the casserole into the broiler.  Now, I don't usually use the broiler, but I decided I would follow the entire recipe this time.  MISTAKE!  The recipe said to put it in for one minute, so after about 30 seconds I started smelling burning and took the casserole out, which was on fire!!  I blew it out but then my fire alarm started going off.  Luckily I had the windows open already so they stopped after a few seconds.  

After I blew out the fire!  All my cracker crumbs and cheese
wasted!  
My previously beautiful crumb topping.

I scraped off all the burnt parts and salvaged the casserole.

The finished product... minus most of the crackers and
cheese.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Ingredients: 
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 cups chicken breast, cooked
1 cup cracker crumbs

Preparation: 
Preheat oven to 325.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the flour.  Cook for about two minutes, whisking.
Add the broth, and shallot and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice.  Remove from heat, stir in Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup of the parmesan.
Place the broccoli in a greased casserole dish and pour half the sauce on top.  Add the chicken and pour the remaining sauce on top.  Top with cracker crumbs and the remaining cheese.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Cosmo

No comments:

Post a Comment