Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mexican Chicken Soup

Okay, so I know I didn't post yesterday, but I went out to an Indian restaurant in the city, near Avenue of the Arts.  Also, it was appropriately named Indian Restaurant... at least I knew what I was getting!  I went with Matt and my friend Chris, and we got a smorgasbord of food.  I got chicken malai, chicken cooked in coconut milk and Indian spices and we all got some naan (Indian bread) to share.  Delicious!

Well, that's enough about yesterday, today I made Mexican chicken soup from a Food Network Magazine recipe.  Everything was going fine until I had to add my canned tomatoes.  I didn't realize that it was a can of cooked plum tomatoes, not diced ones.  So after I dumped the entire can in, I had to scoop them out and cut them up.  Whoops!  Other than that snafu, it turned out pretty good, though a little under-seasoned.  Perhaps after a day, the flavors will strengthen and be better as leftovers!

Step 1: Chicken broth, celery, onions, and spices.

Step 2: Add tomatoes and green chiles.

Accidental step: Cut up all the tomatoes.  

Finished product: Add chicken and cilantro!

Mexican Chicken Soup

Ingredients: 
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
6 cups chicken broth
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
1 (15 oz.) can corn
1 (15 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Preparation:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, and cumin; cook until the onion turns translucent, about five minutes.  Add the chicken broth, bring to a bowl.  Reduce heat, summer, uncovered for about ten minutes.  Add the green chiles, corn, tomatoes, and oregano; cook for another five minutes.  
Take saucepan off heat and stir in chicken, cilantro, and lime juice.  Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Food Network