Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mexican Chicken Soup

Okay, so I know I didn't post yesterday, but I went out to an Indian restaurant in the city, near Avenue of the Arts.  Also, it was appropriately named Indian Restaurant... at least I knew what I was getting!  I went with Matt and my friend Chris, and we got a smorgasbord of food.  I got chicken malai, chicken cooked in coconut milk and Indian spices and we all got some naan (Indian bread) to share.  Delicious!

Well, that's enough about yesterday, today I made Mexican chicken soup from a Food Network Magazine recipe.  Everything was going fine until I had to add my canned tomatoes.  I didn't realize that it was a can of cooked plum tomatoes, not diced ones.  So after I dumped the entire can in, I had to scoop them out and cut them up.  Whoops!  Other than that snafu, it turned out pretty good, though a little under-seasoned.  Perhaps after a day, the flavors will strengthen and be better as leftovers!

Step 1: Chicken broth, celery, onions, and spices.

Step 2: Add tomatoes and green chiles.

Accidental step: Cut up all the tomatoes.  

Finished product: Add chicken and cilantro!

Mexican Chicken Soup

Ingredients: 
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
6 cups chicken broth
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
1 (15 oz.) can corn
1 (15 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Preparation:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, and cumin; cook until the onion turns translucent, about five minutes.  Add the chicken broth, bring to a bowl.  Reduce heat, summer, uncovered for about ten minutes.  Add the green chiles, corn, tomatoes, and oregano; cook for another five minutes.  
Take saucepan off heat and stir in chicken, cilantro, and lime juice.  Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
Enjoy!  

Recipe adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment