Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chicken Soft Tacos

Last night I made chicken tacos from a recipe I found in my "Mexican Everyday" cookbook by Rick Bayless.  Even more surprising, I had all the ingredients!  I started off so fancy and cooked my peppers over an open flame!  (I had to stop though because I almost lit it on fire and didn't want to set off the smoke alarms again!)  They were supposed to have either guacamole or tomatillo salsa on them, but since both avocados and tomatillos are expensive, I went for adding refried beans, rice, and cheese.  Delicioso!

Broiling my peppers!

Chicken, onions, and roasted peppers!

Chicken Tacos
Chicken Soft Tacos

Ingredients: 
2 large green peppers
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 large white onion, sliced
Salt and Pepper
1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
Warm flour tortillas
Toppings: Guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream

Preparation:
Roast the peppers over an open flame (if you have gas burners, that's how I like to roast them!) until blistered and blackened, turning regularly, about five minutes.  Place in a bowl, when cool, scrape off the blackened skin.
Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and cook, until golden brown and crunchy.  Scoop into a bowl, set aside for later.
Cut the pepper into same size strips as onion, add the the same bowl.
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining one tablespoon of oil to the skillet.  When the oil is hot, add the chicken.  Brown one side, about five minutes, flip and cook an additional four minutes.
When the meat is done, add garlic and lime juice.  Reduce to a glaze.
Cut the chicken into same size strips as peppers and onions and add the chicken into the same bowl.
Season with additional salt, if necessary.
Serve tortillas warm with chicken, peppers, and onions, and whatever toppings you like.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless

No comments:

Post a Comment