Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spanikopita Meatballs with Tzatziki

Look at these lovely formed meatballs!  (Don't worry,
they're not cooked yet!)
My mom makes these quite a bit, so today I decided to try my hand at it!  (Plus we had ground turkey in the freezer.)  This recipe actually can be credited to Rachael Ray, but with my mom's help, I tweaked it a bit.  First of all, it's supposed to be made with ground chicken, but was ground chicken on sale this week?  Nope, ground turkey was.  (I made it with ground turkey.)  Next, the turkey meatballs themselves are a little bland without the tzatziki, so I added extra garlic, salt, and pepper.

The mixture, before making them into meatballs. 
The tzatziki itself was great, though I didn't have any coriander (who does on a budget) so I added extra cumin.  I also didn't have enough Greek yogurt (guess I should have had Cheerio's for breakfast) so I just finished what we had.  

I finished off the meal with some spaghetti tossed in olive oil and garlic.  Delicious!!  

The finished product!!  (Okay, this actually doesn't look that
good, but trust me, it was.)


Spanakopita Meatballs with Tzatziki

Ingredients: 

Meatballs:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
3/4 cup crumbled feta
1 pound ground chicken

Tzatziki:
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
1/3 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp. dill
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp. cumin
Salt

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400.
For meatballs:
In a bowl, combine onion and three cloves of garlic.
Squeeze the water out of the spinach until completely dry.  Add it to the garlic and onion.  Add feta, chicken, and garlic powder with a liberal drizzle of olive oil.  Mix well and form 18 meatballs.  Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
For Tzatziki:
Place yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, cumin and salt in a bowl and mix well. Serve with meatballs as a dipping sauce.
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Food Network

P.S.- If you're an avid reader, then you know I made Mexican chicken soup a couple of days ago.  Well, I had some leftovers for lunch today and it was much better.  The spices have time to strengthen and the overall flavor was better.  Just a tip if you wanted to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment