Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Beer-Battered Fish

I found a recipe for beer batter awhile back on Pinterest and thought, "Hey!  I could do that," so tonight, I did.  You could use this recipe as a base beer batter for anything you feel like cooking- onion rings, fish, chicken, green bean fries, etc... it's very yummy, plus then my vegetarian friends can get in on this!
The recipe itself was very good, though I did change it a bit, however the actual cooking of the fish was only okay.
If I had deep-fried it, everything would have been fine.  I tried to be a little healthier and pan-fried it instead.  That also probably would have been fine, except the fish was still a bit frozen, so I had to flip it more times than I intended and it kind of fell apart.  Oh well, it still tasted damn good.
I also halved the recipe and it is a good thing I did!  I coated two large pieces of cod as well as a pound of green beans in the stuff and had quite a bit leftover.  If you are cooking for a small army, perfect!

Beer Batter

Beer-Battered Fish


Beer-Battered Fish

Ingredients: 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/8 cup beer, plus more for correct consistancy
4 large white fish filets, such as cod
Vegetable oil, for frying

Preparation:
In a medium bowl, add flour, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic.  Mix well.
Add beer.  Whisk.
If mixture is too dry (mine was!) add beer until the consistency of a batter.
Add about 2 Tbsp. oil to large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat two fish in batter.  Add to pan.  Cook until golden brown on one side, flip until golden brown on the other side.  Set aside to a plate.  Cover.  Add 2 more Tbsp. oil to skillet and add battered fish.  Repeat.
Enjoy!

Recipe Adapted from Buzzle

No comments:

Post a Comment