Pages

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Tomatoes

Phew!  What a long time since I've posted anything!  As I'm sure you know, I tend to start posting again in the summer when I'm not crazy with school; this summer has been nuts though!  Matt and I went back to upstate NY to work at the music camp we always work at and a week later left for our (very delayed) honeymoon.  We spent 10 days in Dublin and London and had a wonderful time.
Since I haven't really cooked in 2 months, I wanted to get back to my roots.  Last time I was in the grocery store I noticed that they started selling Swiss chard and was so excited to grab some!  I found sausage in the freezer and this recipe came right together.  It was super easy and very tasty!
This dish can easily be made gluten free by using GF pasta!
This dish only used 2 sausage links out of my package of 4, so I used the other 2 to make a half-batch of Zucchini Glop (don't let the name throw you off, it's really good).

Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Tomatoes

Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Tomatoes

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
8 ounces small shape pasta, I used rotini
2 hot or sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed (I used sweet)
1 small onion, chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, roughly chopped (stems and leaves separated) 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the label.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. (Don't worry if it's sticking to the bottom of the pan, when you add the chard and onions, you can scrape it off.)
Add the onion, garlic, and chard stems; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. 
Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes start blistering, about 5 minutes.  
Add the chard leaves to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start wilting, about 2 minutes. Lightly mash the tomatoes with the back of your spoon to create more of a sauce.
Add the pasta and cheese; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. 
Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment