Friday, May 4, 2012

Zucchini Glop

Today I decided to make an old stand by in my family, "zucchini glop."  I'm not really sure where the "glop" part came from, but probably it's because that's what it looks like.  Also, we usually just shorten the name to "glop."  An extra also, we usually serve this as a side dish in my house, but since Matt and I are poor, we ate it as a main course.
First, I browned the sausage, then added the onion and garlic.  After that came the sauce and then the zucchini.  I finished with cheese!  Yum!



Zucchini Glop

Ingredients:
1 pound Italian sausage (I used hot) or 1 pound ground beef
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
12 ounce jar tomato sauce
2 medium zucchini
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preparation:
In a medium saucepan, brown the sausage.  After it is browned, add all of the vegetables and the sauce.  Once the zucchini is soft and kind of see-through in the middle, add the cheese and you're ready to eat it!  Feel free to serve this as a side, or you can add some more zucchinis and meat to have a hearty meal with some Italian bread (dip it in the sauce!!)
Also, this only gets better the next day.  I like to make this the day before I plan to serve it so the flavors really develop.