Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Cuban Sandwich

My obsession with Cubans started when I watched the movie Chef. (It's really good!)  If you haven't seen it, a chef decides to open a food truck that sells Cubans.  They looked so delicious that I decided to try my hand at them.  I have made this recipe a few times, but this one was the best.  The key is to make sure you have really fresh bread.  I stopped at the grocery store this morning and picked up a baguette.
The other thing that started my quest to make a great Cuban was that while we were in London, Matt ordered a Cuban at a burger restaurant we went to.  It was terrible!  I told him that I would try to erase the memory of that terrible sandwich and I think I delivered!  These turned out great!
It is important to mention that Cubans are supposed to be pressed.  If you get a real Cuban, they use a machine, kind of like a panini press.  I don't have that so I used a cast iron pan.  I then pressed down on the pan (using pot holders so you don't burn your hands) and got them pretty flat.
I understand that you're supposed to use roasted pork on these, but I didn't have any so I improvised and got thin cut pork chops which I cooked for 3 minutes on one side and 2 on the other and seasoned with adobo seasoning.  If you have roast pork, feel free to use that instead!

Cuban Sandwich

Cuban Sandwich

Ingredients:
2 tsp. canola oil
2 sandwich-sized piece of baguette (about 1/2 of baguette)
Yellow mustard
2 thin pork chops, cooked
4 slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 sliced dill pickles (the long ones)

Preparation:
Slice baguette open to assemble sandwiches.
Spread a liberal amount of mustard on one side of the bread per sandwich.  (You might think you used too much, but use a little bit more, it will be delicious, I promise!)
Top with Swiss cheese, ham, pork, pickles, and the other slice of cheese.  Close sandwich.
In the same pan you cooked the pork chop in, or a medium sized skillet over medium heat with 2 tsp. canola oil, place the sandwiches.
Top with a heavy pot and cook about 5 minutes.  Place pot holders inside of pot on top and press down in order to flatten the sandwiches.
Flip the sandwiches and cook, flattening, for another 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve with a simple arugula salad.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment