Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Roast Chicken and Vegetables

Today I decided to try and roast a chicken in the Crockpot.  I had to do a little research beforehand to see if I had to put any liquid in there, and it turns out I don't!  I also have been trying to cook a little heart healthier, so I added some baby carrots, an onion, and some diced potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot beforehand.

Veggies
After I wrestled with the chicken (it was still a little frozen, so I had to run hot water in the cavity so the goody bag could come out), I rubbed the skin with salt, pepper, garlic, and dill.  I didn't have any real lemons, so I also added a bit of lemon juice. 

Raw Roasted Chicken
I cooked it on low for about eight hours, and then it was ready to go!  It turned out just a little bit dry, so next time I will rub the skin with olive oil to keep some of that moisture in there.  

Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Roast Chicken and Vegetables

Ingredients: 
1 whole chicken (4-6 pounds)
1 medium onion
3 medium potatoes
A handful of baby carrots
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Dill
Lemon Juice

Preparation: 
Chop onion and potatoes and place in bottom of Crockpot with carrots.
Wash and pat dry your chicken.  Pull out goody bag and discard.  (Or you can save it and use if for stock.)
Rub outside with olive oil (heart healthy) or butter (better tasting!)
Add desired amount of salt, garlic, pepper, and dill.  If you're feeling super fancy, put the spices under the skin as well for an even deeper flavor.
Squirt in a couple tablespoons of lemon juice.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment