Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Eggplant Parmigiana

Before I went to the grocery store this week, I decided to check out the farmer's market.  I haven't been down there before, and my friend Hilary was visiting, so I figured we could check it out together!  Among other things, I got a lovely looking eggplant!  When I got home, I found out that mozzarella was on sale this week, so it seemed like fate.  Eggplant Parm!  Of course, I had to call my mom for her recipe. Bonus, this recipe is much healthier than normal eggplant parm because the eggplant is baked instead of fried!  Hooray!



Eggplant Parmigiana
I halved the recipe and Matt ate the whole thing.  Well, actually he ate the whole thing except for two bites.  Trust me, it's super good.

Eggplant Parmigiana 
This picture is my updated picture, because the light was better!  I served it with some arugula salad for a yummy dish! 

Eggplant Parmigiana 

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. skim milk
1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
1 13/4 -2 lb. eggplant (or 2 1 lb. eggplants)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 jar of your favorite sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used fresh mozzarella that I shredded)
Grated parmesan cheese (I used grated 4 cheese blend that had parmesan, asiago, fontina, and mozzarella)
Pepperoni, optional

Preparation: 
Preheat oven to 375, spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
Meanwhile, lightly beat eggs and milk in shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.  Dip eggplant in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs and arrange in a single layer on the baking pans.  Lightly spray the eggplant with the cooking spray, season with salt & pepper & spices.  Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for 10 more minutes.
Spoon sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with a layer of cooked eggplant, pepperoni (if using), mozzarella cheese,  repeat. Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.  Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly about 30 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment