Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Since I have been trying to cook one seafood dish a week, I decided to try my hand at tuna noodle casserole.  Though I have no recollections of my mom making this, I feel as though this is an iconic American dinner.  I found a recipe in a cookbook my Aunt bought me for Christmas which sounded delicious!  My first predicament came when I realized the cookbook was printed in England, which meant  things like ounces instead of tablespoons.  After I figured out all of the measurements, I followed the recipe except I switched cream of mushroom soup for cream of celery because mushrooms are gross!  I also guessed on the amount of egg noodles (it called for 7 ounces!), and I think I ended up using a little too much, but it tasted good anyway so I wasn't worried.
I tried to make this a little bit healthier for Matt and I, so I used 75% reduced fat cheese, 98% reduced fat cream of celery, Smart Balance instead of butter, and plenty of fresh vegetables.



After taking it out of the oven, it said to let it cool for five minutes, but Matt and I could only wait two because it smelled so good... and it tasted just as good!  Delicious!

Source: "Comfort Foods"
Soundtrack: Buddy Holly