Thursday, January 19, 2012

Crockpot Pot Roast and Vegetables

When I made the turkey a couple days ago, I had to make room in my freezer for the other half of the turkey, in doing so, I had to pull out a rump roast, meaning I had to cook it!  Tonight I decided to make it from this recipe I found in my new comfort foods cookbook.  However, being a comfort food cookbook, it obviously had a lot of butter in it, so I had to lighten it up.  I also cooked it in the crockpot so I could leave the house instead of putting it in the oven.
I started by cutting up an onion, some baby carrots, and a few potatoes.  I put those in the bottom of the crock pot.  After the vegetables I placed the roast in the crock pot and rubbed the top with salt, pepper, garlic, and dill.  Then I added some red wine and cooked it on low for about 8 hours.  

Pot roast before it cooked!  
The vegetables came out good, but the pot roast came out a little bit dry.  Next time I will poke holes in the pot roast and put in garlic slices for more flavor.  I also plan on pouring the wine over the pot roast (and into the slats) and then rubbing on the spices.  Hopefully it will result in a more flavorful, tender dinner. 

Crockpot Pot Roast and Vegetables
Soundtrack: Syd Barrett